The next installment of "People who have the runs"
![]() |
| "It's like a natural drug. Endorphins are priceless!" |
My main purpose for running is to stay in shape, to feel good mentally and physically, to conquer goals, find inspiration and have a hobby.
How long have you been running? How did you get started? Why did you choose running over other activities?
I have always done some amount of running, since I was around 14 years old but got a little more serious about it to lose some weight in college. In 2007, I started running longer distances and thinking about marathons, which I now run regularly. I chose running initially because it burned the most calories fastest but I stuck with it because nothing else made me feel as good – plus, it’s the easiest to do without anything but your shoes!
How do you motivate yourself to run regularly? What about on the days the weather is bad or your are feeling particularly lazy?
I remind myself how much better I will feel if I do it. I know for a fact that after getting started, it’s easier and I can literally clear a bad mood through my lungs or find inspiration I wouldn't otherwise. I do sometimes think about the calories I can burn and to keep from gaining weight but honestly, it’s more about the mental attitude for the day, and finding energy and positivity.
Do you use a running coach, or read any books to aid in your training?
No coaches but I read Runners World regularly and like to read books about/by runners for motivation.
How do you fit running in with your daily schedule?
I work out in the mornings because it gets my day started right and I HATE thinking about having to run after work. My body is just off in the afternoons. Mornings are perfect for my body physically, mentally and spiritually, literally. This means I get up almost every weekday morning at 5:15. It is hard but worth it.
Do your friends and family support your running or think you are crazy?
My family is very into running. We all do it – and love it. On holidays when I’m home visiting, you won’t find us sitting around all day. We get up and take long walks, runs, bike rides, etc. I actually work out just as much when I’m home for Christmas as normal because it’s just so ingrained in our lives.
What is your favorite running terrain (road, trail, treadmill)?
I don’t’ like actual trails but running in the woods on a well made path is fun…running in interesting places like the National Mall in DC where I live is also awesome. To see things and go somewhere during the run so it’s a real experience.
What is the hardest race you’ve run to date?
The hardest race for me was probably the 2010 Chicago Marathon. I had an “off” day physically and had major cramps, back pain, stomach issues and more. I struggled to get through and barely made it. There were tears at mile 22!
What is the most enjoyable race you’ve run to date?
Most enjoyable was the 2010 Marine Corps Marathon. I had an easier run than normal, listened to music and got a second wind during the last five miles. Then I PR’d and was very happy!
Have you ever been injured due to running? What were the ramifications?
I’ve had an injury that forced me to stop running for three months. A disc in my back shifted and I had to have physical therapy and essentially end all workouts except for swimming. It was really hard to do but I think there is something to be said for a dose of heavy crosstraining. You come back stronger thnn ever! I’ve been very lucky otherwise.
Do you use any music or run tracking devices when you run, or are you a naked runner.?
Depends on the day. I use music about 50% of the time but it depends on my mood, the weather, how long the run is and more. I usually do NOT use music during my races because I like the atmosphere, the people and want to be there in the moment. I just recently got a running watch and during training will use it but for off training season, I just want to enjoy myself.
How do you get yourself through the difficult parts of your runs? Do you have a personal mantra or do you just give up?
I tell myself I am almost there, I can do it, if I do it, I can reward myself with an awesome meal later. In races, I imagine how great it will feel crossing the finish line at goal time and I do literally say “no pain no gain” and “your all good” to myself!
I usually don’t have this problem but I do usually take immodium before a marathon to be safe. It comes down to smart eating the week/night/morning before the race for me. I actually have more a problem with having to pee too much. I hate stopping for that, wastes so much time!
What advice would you give to someone thinking about taking up running?
Start slow and focus on how it makes you feel afterward. Also, include some short sprints so you can really feel the air moving in your lungs. Notice how positive vibes and spurts of inspiration come more easily when you are running and when you are done running. It’s like a natural drug. Endorphins are priceless!
What is your next big race?
The DC Rock n’ Roll Marathon on March 17th.
What is your immediate running goal?
My goal for this race is to run it under 4 hours.
What is your ultimate running goal?
Ultimately, I’m not sure. After I hit sub-4, I’m sure I’ll want to go faster. I’ve heard you can improve through your 30s before you start slowing down so I’ve got 10 years to get faster. I’d love to just keep getting faster. But, mostly, inspiring others run and continuing to be better and do better because I do.
Do you have a way we can keep track of your progress (Twitter, Facebook, Blog, etc)
Yes, several!
Blog: http://www.sweetlifeericka.com
Twitter: ErickaAndersen
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ErickaAndersen
Tumblr: sweetlifeericka.tumblr.com



Love this profile ... good luck to you in the future!
ReplyDelete