| FEATURED RUNNER OF THE MONTH: February 2012 |
![]() |
| "One more reason to love trail running; Nature is your bathroom" |
I run to feel free, to be outside, to feel like I've accomplished something and for the sensation of a good effort that infuses my body afterward.
How long have you been running? How did you get started? Why did you choose running over other activities?
I began running after graduating college and realizing I needed a way to stay in shape. So, vanity!
I started running with the Hash House Harriers and fell in with a bad crowd (marathoners). I'm easily persuaded so I soon found myself running marathons, and then ultras.
I chose running because exercise classes and gym machines didn't hold my interest. I needed something I could go out and hammer for a quick, fast effort that made me feel like I had really worked hard.
How do you motivate yourself to run regularly? What about on the days the weather is bad or your are feeling particularly lazy?
I join friends. I'm pretty bad at getting out there on a daily basis without a set training plan or someone waiting for me to show up. Weather doesn't usually daunt me, I see it as a triumph when I can get outside on a day I'd otherwise have spent feeling defeated by conditions. It's almost never that bad once I'm out moving, and I always see something that lifts my spirits knowing I'd have missed it had I stayed inside.
Do you use a running coach, or read any books to aid in your training?
I follow a Hal Higdon plan when I train for the occasional road marathon. Otherwise, I get out on the trails/in the mountains for several hours on the weekends and run some hills and short fast miles during the week.
How do you fit running in with your daily schedule?
I'm pretty lax. I don't run everyday, and since I don't have children, I can run anytime I'm not working. Often I'll do a short run at lunch on weekdays. I'm not usually a morning runner.
Do your friends and family support your running or think you are crazy?
My parents and brothers think I'm crazy for the most part, but my friends mostly make me look like the voice of reason.
What is your favorite running terrain (road, trail, treadmill)?
Trails are amazing. It feels like I'm just out playing in the woods. I particularly love bombing a technical downhill, feet flying. It's a lot like skiing.
What is the hardest race you’ve run to date?
The longest race I've run was the Vermont 100 miler. That was toughest for me mentally. Physically, the Marine Corps Marathon this past year. Road races are grueling!
What is the most enjoyable race you’ve run to date?
I think Laurel Highlands 70 Miler, it's a beautiful trail with almost magical, ever-changing scenes; or Bull Run Run 50 Miler, because it's my "home course" and is put on by my running club, Virginia Happy Trails (VHTRC). It's really special running when all my friends are out there, either on trail or helping at aid stations.
Have you ever been injured due to running? What were the ramifications?
I'm pretty good about heeding warning signs of injuries before they occur. I've had a sprained ankle, a broken bone in the ball of my foot and a bulging disc in my lower back, but none of them were running injuries, ironically. Being unable to run wasn't fun, but I'm grateful that it forced me to discover new ways of working out and strengthening my weak areas, and it's how I stumbled on Bikram Yoga.
Do you use any music or run tracking devices when you run, or are you a naked runner.?
I like to wear my Garmin to see the map I've made on a trail run. I don't usually listen to music, I prefer the sounds of my footfalls on dirt, birds, wind in the trees, and conversations.
How do you get yourself through the difficult parts of your runs? Do you have a personal mantra or do you just give up?
Relentless. Forward. Progress. is my mantra during ultras. I also reduce it to the basics and repeat aloud: "Uphill? I can walk. Flat or Downhill? I'm running." Anything you can chant that keeps your mind from letting in negative thoughts will work.
A lot of runners know that “Who has the runs” has a double meaning. How do you deal with the occasional “problem” that plagues every runner at one time or another?
One more reason to love trail running: Nature is your bathroom. Carry a couple of baby wipes in a sealable baggie, and find a good tree and scratch out a little area. Don't forget to cover with leaves, sticks, rocks to keep animals out.
What advice would you give to someone thinking about taking up running?
Start walking, preferably a route with people-watching, interesting houses or good scenery and if possible on your way to a destination, be it brunch, work, or a friend's house. Once you've begun that habit, throw in some running every few minutes. Don't worry about speed. Play like a kid, dashing about, or taking time to stop and look at things. Join a running group or create your own with a friend or two. Sign up for a race to keep things interesting.
What is your next big race?
My big race this year is Laurel Highlands 70 Miler in June. It's my favorite trail.
What is your immediate running goal?
Improve my hill-climbing ability.
What is your ultimate running goal?
Complete the Rim to Rim to Rim crossing of the Grand Canyon. I think I'd like to take two days, so as not to rush through this scenic wonder.
Do you have a way we can keep track of your progress (Twitter, Facebook, Blog, etc)
I'm @ultrarunnergirl on Twitter, and my blog is http://ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.com. Stop by and say hello!


Run, Kirsten, run! On-on, Burnt Sox
ReplyDelete