Do you live to run? Do you plan your day around your running? Do you try to get everyone you know to start running?
If you answered yes to any of these, you may have the runs. If you answered yes to ALL of them, you definitely do!

Mike B. has the runs.


The next installment of "People who have the runs"

"you never regret running, but you always regret not running"
Why do you run?
Mostly weight management. To be totally honest, I love to eat. Running allows me to eat more without gaining weight, so I would say I run to eat. I also run for stress relief, & to spend time with friends.

How long have you been running? Why did you choose running over other activities?
About 2 ½ years. I do other activities (biking, swimming, and basketball) but when it comes to weight and stress management I get my best results from running.

Mike at Swamp foot 4 Mile 2011, showing off his runner's physique.
How do you motivate yourself to run regularly? What about on the days the weather is bad or your are feeling particularly lazy?
I try to set a schedule where I run with someone (in person or on the phone) this way someone else is counting on me. And if it's a day that I run alone I still let friends know what my plans are so it motivates me to stick to it. I lean on my running partners for motivation.  I have a few key friends that help me a lot. I also have a mantra I tell myself before a run if I don't want to go "you never regret running but you always regret not running".

Do you use a running coach, or read any books to aid in your training?
No, closest thing to a coach I have is my friend Sherry (@drsherrypagoto) and I have gotten great training tips from my friend Julie (@ptrunningmomof4).

Mike (green) before a mud run with Sherry (light blue) and Julie (pink) and two dudes.
Do your friends and family support your running or think you are crazy?
A little of both. I have learned where to go when I need support, and I know I can always find that on Twitter. I think Twitter is one of the best running support systems around.  I'm still learning to not talk about running as much to my friends who think I am crazy.

How do you fit running in with your daily schedule?
I work a lot of hours so scheduling is key. The main things I give up are sleep (normally 4-5 hours a night) and I miss a few dinners a week with my wife, she is very supportive of me.

What is your favorite running terrain (road, trail, treadmill)? I love trail running.
Running down hill with reckless abandonment is one of my favorite things to do.
Throw in some mud and river and I’m in heaven.

What is the hardest race you've run to date?
The hardest race would be the Dances with Dirt relay, the swamp leg. I was expecting a couple of swamp crossings in the five-mile leg but there was about two miles of black soot swamp going through the woods.

Mike trudging his way through the DWD swamp
Do you use any music or run tracking devices when you run, or are you a naked runner?
I MUST HAVE MUSIC!! My best runs are with music.  I have songs that just give me energy, my play list is very diverse; Black Eye Peas, Miley Cyrus, Neil Diamond, Lil Wayne, Barry Manilow, Kid Rock to name a few.  For tracking my runs and my heart rate I use the Suunto t3c, I hate to do long runs without it.

A lot of runners know that "Who has the runs" has a double meaning. How do you deal with the occasional "problem" that plagues every runner at one time or another? I don't run real long distances (1/2 marathon at most) so it hasn't been major issue.  I just need to get up early before a run and make sure I'm "calibrated" before I head out.

What is the most enjoyable race you’ve run to date?
It’s a tie between Dances with Dirt and a run (not official race) I did in the White Mountains. Dances with Dirt was a ball, a full day of hard running and bonding with some of my best running buddies. I love running with friends so much more than solo. The run in the mountains was unexpected, it was a 9 mile hike (a real butt kicker) that I did with Sherry and we decided to run the last 3 miles which was mostly down hill. It had more rocks, roots, dips, and rolls than I’ve ever seen. Add some slippery wet spots and you have reckless abandonment on steroids!

Have you ever been injured due to running? What were the ramifications?
Nothing serious mostly pulled and strained muscles; knock on wood (I’m knocking my head right now)  I’m lucky I have a running buddy Julie that’s a MPT, so I just call her and explain the problem, get yelled at for not stretching before my run and then she tells me what to do to fix my pain (usually stretching).

What advice would you give to someone thinking about taking up running?
Don't get discouraged, it takes time to build mileage, sign up for a race every few months, and JOIN TWITTER!!

What is your next big race?
I don't have a big race scheduled right now, but I do have some 3 and 6 ks on the books.  I find I need to at least do that to help with my motivation.
     
Mike cleaning off after the Michigan Muddy Buddy 2010
What is your immediate running goal?
I need to get back to running a marathon a week. Not all at once, but run 26.2 miles every week.  That keeps me at the weight I want, feeling good, and controls all the stress that life brings. I also always want to be just a few weeks away, in training, from being able to run a 1/2 marathon.
   
What is your ultimate running goal?
I don't know, I struggle with that one.  I toss between wanting to just improve on my shorter mud runs, and work on my 1/2 marathon time or try a full marathon.  For now it's the former, but I cant make any promises.

Do you have a way we can keep track of your progress (Twitter, Facebook, Blog, etc)
Twitter: (@mbfgmike)
FB: (Michael J Bauman)
Blog: (http://improvinglifethroughsarcasm.blogspot.com)


7 comments:

  1. Great write up! I loved it. The pictures were perfect to show michael in action!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the last pic best of all!!!!! Thanks for an awesome write up! Running with you is FUN!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ~ wonderful interview ~ motivational story!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about Twitter being a great source of motivation. I know I can always find someone to have a #rundate with! My virtual running buddies are the best! Also, I love the term "calibrated"! It is a MUST before long runs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent interview, Mike! You have a way with words, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I run to eat too!!!

    ReplyDelete